Outcome: Numbered list vs bullets

Subject: Outcome: Numbered list vs bullets
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:23:27 -0600

Hi all,

Many thanks to all who responded to my query about using a numbered
list instead of bullets for sequentially performed action steps. I
wish I could say that all your comments and lists of sources helped,
but it had no effect. I gave photocopies of your responses to the
editor but I don't know that s/he read them before our meeting at 3:00
p.m. yesterday. The last item of discussion at the meeting was about
changing the bullet lists to numbered lists. The programmer decided
he would use the same method used in the Microsoft manuals (as if
those manuals were the authority on the subject). So, we looked at a
User's Guide for Microsoft Windows for Workgroups & MS-DOS. To their
amazement, Bill Gates uses numbered lists for sequentially performed
action steps. So, it's official. We are now using numbered lists.

Thanks to all,

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Sr. Technical Writer
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL (near Chicago)