HELP WITH SCREEN SHOT CONVERSIONS: FRAME TO PDF

Subject: HELP WITH SCREEN SHOT CONVERSIONS: FRAME TO PDF
From: Marc Lederman <Marc -dot- Lederman -at- PULSE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:47:00 -0500

Good Morning,

I have a "unique" problem (hopefully not so unique that someone out there hasn't
seen it) and I wondered if y'all (a Southern term meaning more than one) could
help.

We are converting a Frame 5.0 document to a PDF format to be used as a help doc.
This Frame doc has multiple screen shots (about 21) from the UNIX system it
supports. We've downloaded all of them using an emulator on a PC and routed the
screens through CorelDraw, Paint Shop Pro, and LView just to give it a fair
shake. The shots come out great in all three formats (saved as TIFFs,
grayscale, 96 dpi) and go in to the Frame doc very well. We're running Frame on
a MAC 7600/132.

The rub comes when I do the PDF conversion using Adobe Acrobat Distiller 3.0.
Many of the shots come out very blurry and unreadable. We've found that going
back to the Frame doc, taking the TIFF screen out (once again, it looks great in
Frame), reimporting the same TIFF, and doing the conversion again, gives us a
few more clear screens. Repeated iterations of this process "clean up" more
shots each time, but I am left with a few recalcitrant shots each go around.
For example, this current document in the first PDF conversion yielded 12 clear
shots and 9 blurry ones. The next iteration yielded 14 clear and 7 blurry. The
upshot is that I have run the process a couple more times and yielded all but
three clear shots. I am about to do it again to see if I can get the last three
clear in the PDF document. But I thought I'd ask the experts on the list to see
if there is an answer to this peculiarity.

I've run the Adobe Distiller with the screen and text smoothing on and off. It
doesn't seem to have any affect. We also increased the memory for the two
applications (Frame and Acrobat) with little or no affect. We are running the
UNIX emulator on a PC, Frame and Acrobat on a MAC.

Any thoughts as to why this happens? Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks.

Marc