Re: Word 97 bug - help please

Subject: Re: Word 97 bug - help please
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- DJTTD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 17:34:52 GMT

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:52:26 GMT, you wrote:

>I have a 57-page book, all text, with sections, in Word 97/8. SR-1 installed,
>checked for viruses.
>
>When I do Select All and then hit F9 to update all fields I find that a section
>or page break has been inserted - in the middle of a field cross-referencing to
>a title.
>
>Anyone got a solution? Please do not suggest that I use some non-Microsoft
>product instead. I need a short-term solution.

John:

This may not be a bug. I've had a similar problem in some Word documents in
Word 6. Check to see if you have a hard page or section break before the
heading that you are cross-referencing. If you do, Word may include the page
or section break in the cross-reference. In the case of page breaks, change
the hard page break (SHIFT-ENTER) to a soft page break, by changing the
format of the heading paragraph to "Include Page Break Before". This might
solve the problem.

I'm not sure what you would do in the case where you have a section break
before the heading.

The other thing that can cause problems in Word is cross-references that are
marked as revisions or cross-references to headings that contain revisions.
Sometimes this will cause extraneous text to be included in the cross
reference, or for the heading number (if you use heading numbering) to be
duplicated in the cross reference. I usually try to remember to turn revision
marking ofrf whenever I have to do cross references.

Hope this helps.

>John
>mailto:john -dot- cornellier -at- paris -dot- cards -dot- delarue -dot- com

Regards
Keith
Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- djttd -dot- com -- http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/
Senior Technical Writer, Technical Development, Dow Jones Markets Inc.
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein