Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 29 Nov 1997 to 30 Nov 1997

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 29 Nov 1997 to 30 Nov 1997
From: Roger Smith <roger -dot- smith3 -at- VIRGIN -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:20:43 +0000

> Subject: Re: Request help with traffic terminology
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 23:06:42 -0600
> From: Kelly <polytx -at- SWBELL -dot- NET>
> >Could someone help me with the correct terms in American and British
> >English for the types of traffic violations described below. Perhaps there
> >is no better term for some of them, such as speeding:
> >Speeding
> 'Speeding' -

Speeding in the English term.

> >Tailgating (driving too close to the car in front)
> 'Improper Lookout'

'Improper Lookout' is not used in England. Try 'bumper hogging' -
'bumper' is English for 'Fender'.

> >Driving in the breakdown lane
> I haven't been ticketed for this one.

This is 'Driving on the hard shoulder' (note the spelling of shoulder!)

> >Driving over the solid median dividing line
> I haven't been ticketed for this one either.

This is 'Driving over the central white line'

Roger Smith
roger -dot- smith3 -at- virgin -dot- net, or

Previous by Author: Re: Microsoft Help Compiler Problem
Next by Author: Re: Fair Use Law
Previous by Thread: Need your Help
Next by Thread: Re: Embedded graphics

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads