Re: TECH/TOOLS: Need more opinions (Mac!)

Subject: Re: TECH/TOOLS: Need more opinions (Mac!)
From: John Bell <jbell -at- PARAGREN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:15:45 -0500

E. Forrest Christian wrote:

> Of course, there are these people at Agfa-Gevaert who keep pushing Acrobat as
> the cross-platform solution for prepress files. This would solve all of our
> problems and usher in the new age of reason and enlightenment. ;^)

I almost didn't catch that "tongue-in-cheek" bixie at the end
of that paragraph. What Agfa is missing in that approach is
the only way to ensure proper color fidelity from source to
proof to final output is to use ColorSync. Since Windows has
no concept of ColorSync, it can't be used when you need color
fidelity.

Supposedly Microsoft has licensed ColorSync and will put it
into Windows 97 (currently known as Windows 98). I haven't
heard any news on this since last spring, so I don't know
for sure if they have managed to integrate it. Until they
can get it properly integrated, and when color management
tools come out to support it, all "high-color" work must
remain Mac-only.

--- John Bell