Re: Functional illiteracy

Subject: Re: Functional illiteracy
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:52:37 -0800

Jennifer O Neill wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can get data on functional illiteracy in
> Europe (east & west)? Know of any good recent publications in English
> or French?

This is an issue that I have been trying to interest TWs in for some
time. Six (?) years ago I hosted a session at our STC chapter on this
topic and invited an expert in the field to talk. But not much came of
it. Most people's reaction was "Well they OUGHT to be able to read...
the school system is to blame."

Anyway, I've been pursuing info on the "Plain Language" movement, here
in Canada and in Britain, the U.S. and Austrailia. I will dig up what I
have and send you some references. I have also contacted my expert
source and asked if he has a bibliography to share. If this
materializes, I will share it with you and TECHWR-L.

--
Chris Knight
Consultant, Technical Communication Architect