Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations

Subject: Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:22:25 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 2:08 PM

>I thought it'd be pretty nice to have an HTML editor -- see codes in
>color, flip over to wysiwyg mode and back again... Boy was I wrong!
>Call me a geek if you must. I'll stick with WordPad. %-\

If you still want this, it's available. I use Visual Studio 97 for all my
HTML editing. Visual Studio 97 uses the Microsoft Integrated Development
Environment--IDE--and consists of Visual Interdev, VC++, VB, VJ++, and
Visual FoxPro. The editor provides syntax checking via color coding but
allows me to code as I please. When I'm ready to view the results in a
browser, I right-click the document in the edit window and select "View in
browser." The HTML is rendered in them same window, eliminating the need to
toggle back and forth to a "real" browser.

FrontPage is also integrated into this environment so I can use it when I'm
making massive changes, creating a brand new page, or converting stuff to
HTML.

Today, I haven't seen a better HTML editing environment. I do use the other
aspects of this environment--notably VC++ and VB--for web and other
projects, so I am not using a sledge hammer when I really only need a
hammer. Technical writers typically don't need these additional tools, but
you can probably get Visual Interdev as a standalone product, which would
give you all the benefit without the added weight. (Consult with Microsoft
on the features of V. Interdev before purchasing. I am not familiar with the
standalone product.)

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com