Re: Pictures in Word 97

Subject: Re: Pictures in Word 97
From: Paula Puffer <papuffer -at- SWBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:46:03 -0600

Candlin Dobbs <SturtivC -at- KOCHIND -dot- COM> writes

>Hi --
>
>I know someone out there knows the answer to this...
>
>I have a document probably written in '97 and saved in 6.0/'95. It has
>3 screen prints in it. I don't know how these were originally created
>or inserted.
>
>When I click on screen print "a", the selection marks around the outside
>are white rectangles, my cursor changes to a four-pointed arrow, and I
>can move "a" around.

This sounds like you have a frame around the picture or text(it can be used
with both). The frame is anchored to a particular paragraph and can be
adjusted.

>When I click on "b" or "c", the selection marks are black rectangles, my
>cursor doesn't change, and I don't seem to be able to reposition them.

The black line means that the graphic was inserted without a frame
surrounding it. You can insert a frame around the art by clicking the art,
going to insert, and then choosing the frame option.

>Could anyone tell me what the difference is between these two graphic
>objects? Word certainly sees a difference, even though it is not
>apparent to me. How can I reposition the second type?

Once you have the frame in you should be able to reposition the art much
easier (tho I find myself cussing a lot at times, anyone got some good tips
for using frames?)

>What should I be telling the programmers about inserting screen prints?
>(These are documents written by the programmers for themselves -- I'm
>only doing some "clean-up" and putting together some standards and ideas
>for improvements...)

It seems that if you want to be able to move the pictures around, you need
to be using the frame command on the insert menu.

Paula
papuffer -at- swbell -dot- net
http://home.swbell.net/papuffer