Re: Looking for process software recommendations

Subject: Re: Looking for process software recommendations
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:31:24 -0500

Chris Silker wrote:

We're looking for a software package that
> allows us to create and easily update process diagrams and related text
> (external to the process diagrams). We've used Visio and Word in the past,
> and would like something a little less cumbersome (not only do we have to
> redraw Visio diagrams when we make even small changes, we've also had
> problems keeping the diagrams and the external text consistent when we make
> changes).
> Comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Chris Silker
> csilker -at- means -dot- net
> Business Analyst

Chris,

Visio is a great program and I wouldn't dismiss it so readily. We use it
for our manuals and extensively reuse and refine drawings. The trick is
to export drawings (Save as...) from Visio and import them by reference
into your word processing/DTP application. Windows metafiles (.wmf) seem
to work the best for us in terms of clarity and portability (we use PCs
here). I suspect you are embedding the graphics which makes it difficult
to reuse them. I can't speak for Word, but FrameMaker is very able to
import by reference and does a remarkable job of retaining links.
--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer