Re: Book on scanning?

Subject: Re: Book on scanning?
From: "E. Forrest Christian" <efc -at- USINGIT -dot- BE>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:40:12 +0100

For professional publishing, start with (because it is short and illustrated):

- Agfa-Gevaert's An Introduction to Digital Scanning is also pretty good. It's
part of their great Digital Colour Prepress series, has a lovely printjob, and
is only about 25 pages. You can order from their website:
http://www.agfahome.com/ (I confess that I have done work for Agfa-Gevaert,
but not on these booklets.) This is a bit dated now, but is still useful.
Density is density, after all.

For more information, try

- Anything by Michael Kieran. You don't want to start with this stuff, but he
is highly respected by the pros I work with. Beautiful illustrations,
insightful. A professional's professional.

- The Windows 95 Scanning Book, Luisa Simone. Well written and great for office
scanning.

- Sullivan's Scanning Tips and Technique's on CD-ROM. He also has a website
where you can preview the information:
http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning/tipswelcome.html

Your scanner manufacturer may also have material available. Most do.

Of course, the true secret to scanning for professional publishing (like
writing for it) is to pay a professional. I do and I write about this stuff. At
a certain level, you will save money by sending it out to someone who has
dedicated their life to understanding the whole printing process. They also
have the resources invested in high-end scanners.

E. Forrest Christian
Technical Author
Brussels, Belgium / Chicago, USA
efc -at- usingit -dot- be / 105376 -dot- 105 -at- compuserve -dot- com