Re: Tutorials

Subject: Re: Tutorials
From: TheLeener <TheLeener -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:28:31 EST

I recently finished a large (well over 100 exercises) tutorial for a new
release of software.

I have one suggestion to add to the discusion. Begin each lesson (unit,
exercise, whatever) with clear objectives (at the end of this lesson, you will
be able to ...). Finish each lesson with some form of self test to confirm
that the objectives were met.

The system I was documenting was for maintenance facilities and covered a wide
range of functions. There were five distinct groups of users who would be
running the system for different purposes. Having objectives helped me to
stay focused on the tasks I had to teach, and not drift off on tangents about
all the different things a particular module could do.

Eileen Walsh
TheLeener -at- aol -dot- com