Re: Computer rights per attorney (longish)

Subject: Re: Computer rights per attorney (longish)
From: "Ella M. Beale Peacock" <epeacock -at- DFW -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:32:43 -0600

Hi Smoke..All.. Just saw this.. started to reply
privately but thought info might also be of
interest to others on the list so I've cc'd

Smokey Lynne L Bare wrote:

> ...for your review...
>
> My original message came straight from an attorney who deals with this every day...

<snip>

> Just a messenger in this case, but when I called my
> contact at the Copyright Office, she concurred with
> the attorney's statement. Not my call....but their's.

Smoke.. Folks.. Copyright laws.. them am
a'changin' as my ole pappy would say <smile>.
Mostly as a result of the internet going from
non-profit to for-profit opportunities (read
commercial.. money to be made.. unscrupulous or
not)...

A lot of case law is being made daily...

Smoke, you may want to point your attorney and
Copyright Office contact to the WIPO Treaty
(replaces/updates Berne Convention) ratified
December 20, 1996. WIPO stands for World
Intellectual Property Organization. I ran across
it at the Craig Joyce Copyright Casebook website
located at:

http://www.law.uh.edu:80/faculty/CJoyce/
release.5/appendixg.html

[appendixg.html provides text for updating
Berne Treaty to cover rights of digital
media]

and

http://www.law.uh.edu:80/faculty/CJoyce/
release.5/appendixh.html

[appendixh.html provides text concerning rights
of
performances (actors, singers, creators of
sound) and phonograms (sound)]

(Note: above URLs are long.. should be entered as
one continuous string; no spaces)

Joyce's Copyright Casebook web site at:

http://www.law.uh.edu:80/faculty/CJoyce.html
[watch out for that cap "CJ" lowercase "oyce"]

updates and supplements Joyce, Patry, Leaffer &
Jaszi, COPYRIGHT LAW: THIRD EDITION, Matthew
Bender 1994, ISBN: 0-256-16446-0

<aside> Just curious so I jumped over to
amazon.com to see if they had this book... Amazon
can order and will mark price up. It's cheaper
through Bender.. Bender's now online at
http://www.bender.com </aside>

Earlier, I posted to TECHWR-L a list of links to
websites concerning current copyright issues.
Don't you know, after I sent that message I found
one of the best pages which I immediately
bookmarked.

It's the US House of Representative's Internet Law
Library Intellectual Property: Copyrights home
page at

http://law.house.gov/325.htm.

The page not only has links to US copyright info,
but also links relevant for Australia, Japan (in
Japanese), Russia, Thailand (in Thai), New
Zealand, Zambia, and WIPO (full text of all
activity from opening address to closing summary).

Hope these help...

TTYL

Ella
Ella M. Beale Peacock
Tech Writer/ knew that paralegalism certificate
would come in handy someday <smile>
email: epeacock -at- dfw -dot- net