Multimedia maze

Subject: Multimedia maze
From: Susan Grodsky <sgrodsky -at- MIL3 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:41:10 -0400

I am exploring what it would take to create a self-running demonstration
of my company's product. What I visualize is what is called a "movie" --
a file that the user opens, and that runs without input from the user,
showing cursor movement, buttons being pressed, windows opening and
closing and so on. I would need to coordinate a soundtrack (just voice)
with the screen action, of course. The movies would be distributed on
CD-ROM, would run on a machine at trade shows, and might be placed on
the web site.

I am running into problems finding the tools I need for this project:

First, I need to capture the "movie". My company's product runs on Unix
boxes or Windows NT machines. I have not found screen capture software
for either platform. Does anyone know of such software? I have been
using ScreenCam on a Windows 95 platform (with Exceed software to run
the product) but the screen captures have problems.

Second, there is a dizzying variety of multimedia development software,
editors, etc., including:

MacroMedia Director6 by MacroMedia

Lumiere, by Corel

Astound, by Astound s/w

Premiere, by Adobe

Can someone compare these products for me, or point me to an article that
does the comparison? I have been wasting a good deal of time trying to
get specific technical information from the sales staff of each company.

Finally, if someone in the Washington D.C. area would be willing to spend
an hour or so demonstrating any one of the products listed above (and
fielding my questions), I will gladly buy your lunch!

MTIA

Susan J. Grodsky
Editor, Interarrival Times
MIL 3, Inc.