Digital printing?

Subject: Digital printing?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:05:17 -0600

Jennifer Jelinek wondered <<Does anyone know of any good,
reputable resources (i.e. that aren't trying to
"sell" the method) on digital printing?>>

Digital printing is also called "direct to press", "direct
imaging", "filmless", and "plateless" printing, all of
which are reasonable descriptions. Your sales droid was
right: except for ultra-high-quality printing (coffee table
books), this is definitely the wave of the future.
Currently, it's about where laser printers were 10 years
ago: tremendously promising, but not quite the ultimate
solution just yet. A web search on these keywords should
turn up various resources, but you'll have to look closely
to see which ones are really impartial. If you want an
impartial overview of the technology, check out the past
two years' worth of "Publish". They've reviewed the
technology fairly extensively at least once during this
time. If you can free up the time, paying a visit to a
local printer who does digital publishing would be worth
your while.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
Disclaimer: Speaking for myself, not FERIC., or

Previous by Author: Reader analysis
Next by Author: Time to integrate online help?
Previous by Thread: Re: Digital Printing?
Next by Thread: Spartan typography

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads