Fair Price for a Tech Manual

Subject: Fair Price for a Tech Manual
From: Nancy Kaminski <nancykam -at- PIONEERPLANET -dot- INFI -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:05:50 -0600

I'd like some advice from the list, please. Here's the situation:

One of the writers where I work wrote a user guide for some commercial
software that is being used at our company. We didn't use the documentation
that came with the software because it was so poorly written, and our users
didn't understand it.

The vendor saw the book and said they would like to purchase it to
distribute to their other users---a nice complement to our little writing
unit, indeed.

Here's the problem---we have no idea how to price this book. All our
documentation is of the photocopy-and-put-in-three ring binder variety.
We've always written just for our in-house audience. (I work for a hospital;
the software is a program that does staff scheduling for nurses.)

Any ideas on how to approach this problem? Your input would be vastly
appreciated.

Nancy Kaminski
Fairview Health Services
Minneapolis, MN
nancykam -at- pioneerplanet -dot- infi -dot- net