Re: grammar book

Subject: Re: grammar book
From: Diane Williams <diane_williams -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:54:29 -0800

Gosh, you could spend hours in Borders or other large bookstores
trying to pick out *one* grammar book. I have at least a half dozen
and I've a terrible weakness for buying more. I need a bigger apt. so
I can have a library with floor to ceiling bookshelves.

I had to buy Harbrace's 12th ed. College Handbook for a graduate level
editing class in 1995. (Not enough examples to cover all situations
when you're trying to figure out whether something is an adverbial
clause or not.) Now there is a 13th ed., but I don't know why there
are two 13 eds. with different editor/authors. (I do know that in one
13th ed. the authors abandon putting two spaces between sentences and
now choose one.)

There's also:
The Little, Brown Handbook (no, it's not small and brown colored)
Gregg Handbook (good on grammar and sentence style, but mostly deals
with typing and not typesetting in formatting documents)
Simon & Schuster Handbook (lots of modern examples, and can also get
it on CD-ROM and print out parts!)
Woe Is I (really cute--good review in this month's STC journal)

...and bunches of others that are formatted in similar fashion to the
Harbrace.

Try a local college bookstore too. They usually have the same grammar
book for both undergrad and grad writing/editing courses. You might
only have a choice of one text, but it might be a diffent one than
what's available in the local book store.

Bon apetite!