Re: First day advice.

Subject: Re: First day advice.
From: Peter Gold <pgold -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:37:55 -0800

[snipped]

Watch your email!

My first week at a new place I dug myself into a good lesson:

I took lunch later than most people in my group, so I sent email with the
subject "Out to Lunch" to let people know where I was when I wasn't where
I was supposed to be.

Then, to save electrons, I put a note in the body "So-and-so returned my
books on hypertext. They're in my bookcase for anyone interested."

Well, the note wasn't a problem for anyone except So-and-so, who read it
as "Out to lunch: So-and-so", inferring a slam from me. I inferred
from the public roasting I got in response," Welcome to the hardball tech
pubs group. I better watch myself REALLY closely!"

Best of luck in your new job.

Peter Gold
pgold -at- netcom -dot- com