Re: DB? What's it stand for?

Subject: Re: DB? What's it stand for?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 18:02:49 -0800

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 11:36:30 -0600, STaylor wrote:

>This is a bit of trivia, but the question came up this week. I couldn't
>find the answer in my reference books.
>
>What does the DB stand for in DB-9, as in a "DB-9 serial connector"?

A bit late coming into this thread, but I believe the 'D' refers to the
shape of the connector itself... couldn't tell you offhand where the 'B'
comes from.

Along the same lines, though, I would be interested in knowing the
apprpriate designator for the Centronics-style connectors (probably best
recognized as the end of the parallel cable that plugs into the printer).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>