Thesis Topic

Subject: Thesis Topic
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 11:35:50 +0000

I'm doing a distance 3 year MA in Tech Authorship (Certificate, Diploma,
MA) and about to start the MA year. This can either be a traditional
thesis on an approved TW topic (apparently publishing on Internet has been
very popular!) or it can be project based (recognising the fact that people
on the course may be sponsored by employers and prefer the work to be
relevant). We have a couple of upcoming projects which are possibles:

About to implement an Intranet and move docs to this for general access.
Tech docs, Staff handbook etc.

Our next generation of access control systems and associated admin
software - initial release later this year.

Both these, I feel, provide scope to be a project based "thesis" which
would cover the documentation, background research, reasons why done this
way etc. Basically covering the whole doc process from inception (?) to
implementation.

What I would like (possibly from those who have done something similar) are
some ideas for a more "theoretical" thesis subject. One which appeals to
me (due to background) is how Help/Online information has developed. Why
it's developed that way, where it's going etc.

Basically I'd like to have as wide a choice as possible before my meeting
later this month with the tutors when I find out exactly how it is
structured - what's allowed etc. It seems to be fairly flexible as long as
any suggestion is TW orientated or, if the connection is a little "loose",
it can be justified.

All suggestions welcome.

TIA

Damien Braniff