Re: Printing PDFs

Subject: Re: Printing PDFs
From: sg <sngotler -at- RUST -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 22:01:02 -0500

PDF was originally created for online viewing only. By default, Distiller
creates PDF files with 72dpi images. For paper output, you probably want
higher resolution than that (at least 600 dpi for images).

In Distiller 3.0.1 (and I think 3.0), you can change image resolution. Do
the following:
- Launch Distiller
- Pull down the "Distiller" menu
- Select "Job Options"
- Select the "Compression" tab
- In the "Color" and "Grayscale" groups, check and select "Downsample to"
and set the dpi to your printer's output resolution (e.g., "600" dpi). Then,
in each, choose a Compression scheme. I leave it set to "Automatic" and
"ZIP/JPEG Medium".

Then, regenerate your PDF files. You will notice they are larger than
before. This works very well for me. So well, that some printers now prefer
PDF files for some jobs.

I hope this helps!