Comment: Computer Tools

Subject: Comment: Computer Tools
From: Peter Joseph Dranchuk <dranchuk -at- COMPUSMART -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:52:47 -0700

Paula Wrote the following on Mon, 5 Jan 1998:

Peter wrote:

>>I will most likely go with a Power PC or go with an Intel machine running
>>the new Rhapsody unix system from Apple when it comes out, providing that
>>Rhapsody continuesto grow from its current promising reviews. Otherwise it
>>will be a Windows NT Intel.

>I think if I had to choose between the two systems you mention here, I would
>go with the NT system.
>Why? Because if you are planning to freelance or contract, more businesses
>use windows-based systems than use Macintosh. The only business that I have
>encountered and worked for that uses Macintosh on a regular basis is Higher
>Education and my experiences with Power PCs have been
>that the software (using the same program on both machines) didn't always
>transfer the formatting I did on the my PC at home accurately, so I had to
>spend a lot of time reformatting files. And in the writing lab I worked in,
>it seemed that we were forever fighting problems with power PCs (repeated
>crashes, etc). It left our staff and clients frustrated because they would
>lose their work.

I too have experienced this same difficulty in both directions with
different clients.

>>I am a young writer breaking into technical writing, fiction, and
>>journalism. I want tools that help me do what I have to do well. A
>>carpenter's hammer always works; I would like my tools to do the same. With
>>computers,I can be writing or I can be fighting with a computer system that
>>isn't working properly.

>I have had few problems with my PC running Win 95. The majority of the
>problems I have had were related to hardware. As for the problems people are
>reporting with Office 97 and IE 4.0, I can't comment on the problems with
>Office 97, I am still using Office 95 because I like the backwards
>compatibility with
>Word 6.0, but I can say that I haven't had a lick of trouble with IE 4.0 and
>I am running a version of Win 95
>that is supposed to be causing problems with IE 4.0.

>>Writing is alroady difficult enought without
>>computer troubles. Beyond this, I want to support those who approach their
>>work of producing computer software with the spirit of making a product
>>that brings to the customer what the customer *wants* and needs; and
>>encourage those who have used a keen eye and honest effort to determine and
>>bring to life features that will make their products do their required task
>>better and easier than the customer could imagine.

>I'm seeing what you want here and I like the ideas you present, but what
>about *your* customer's needs and wants? You have to consider their needs
>and wants as well in this equation, especially if you are contracting or
>doing freelance work. Is a Power PC going to be compatible in the long run?

I agree that the client's needs are paramount; I should have made that more
clear. My most recent contract was on both Win 95 and NT, with NT being
much more stable. You are quite right that the PowerPC is not foolproof.
Certain models of the Power PC are *far, Far, FAR* more buggy than any
Intel (notice I didn't include the 686 and relatives). Other PPCs, are
quite the opposite. I still think that the Rhapsody system - if it matures
well - would be best on the Intel machine, (for which there is to be a
version).

>><SNIP> In essence Microsoft is providing
>>products which work within their adapted version of an industry standard,
>>but will not allow their customers to work in concert easily with those
>>using the actual industry standard. Reading in your post about yet another
>>unsatisfactory performance with a Microsoft product, moves me to consider
>>less questionable tools.

>Sorry but companies other than Microsoft create products that have an
>adapted version of an industry standard. A prime example I can think of is
>Netscape and some of the tags they have created outside the realm of the
>HTML 3.2 Standard. It doesn't stop me from using Netscape when I am creating
>web pages because I need to see how my code stands in both IE and Netscape
>browsers.

I agree. It is not the case of a lone gunman; there are many corporations
that would never be invited to Sunday dinner. I confined my discussion to
Microsoft as it was the topic of original post.

>Tools are just that, tools. In the long run, you need to learn the tools
>that will help you the most in the long run, regardless of which company
>created the product in question.

I agree. My intent was focus on my immediate experience, which was with
Microsoft products, as related to my upcoming computer system purchase. As
we both believe, the problem of corporate shortcutting is much bigger than
one company in one industry.

Peter Joseph Dranchuk
Writer
dranchuk -at- compusmart -dot- ab -dot- ca