Re: Why should I fill this out...

Subject: Re: Why should I fill this out...
From: Wendy Putman <wputman -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:23:28 -0800

> Alison - thanks for this message. I think it might go a long way in
> making us
> more aware of cultural differences. We in the U.S. sometimes forget
> we are
> not the only ones on TECHWR-L, and we are not the only ones who speak
> and
> write "English" (American?)

My Canadian ear always flinches when I hear the American
"uh-huh" as a response instead of a thank you or you're welcome. We were
taught that this phrase was the height of rudeness, pointing to a lack
of education as well as manners. So perhaps we should be thankful that
these lists have written rather than oral communication, or we
non-Americans might have considered a great number of list participants
horribly uncivilized. :-)

Wendy Putman, Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems, Burnaby, BC
Tel: (604) 293-0039 / Internal: 722-5432
Email: wputman -at- castleton -dot- com