Re: Looking for a HAT

Subject: Re: Looking for a HAT
From: Tytus Pluciennik <tytusp -at- ADLEX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:43:18 +0100

On Friday, January 09, 1998 3:02 PM, Jill Scudamore
[SMTP:jillian -at- YORKU -dot- CA] wrote:
> I've been asked to research various Help Authoring Tools (HATs) in
> order to find one that meets our needs. I've been browsing the net
> (see http://members.aol.com/LindaMoore/helpauth.html for a large
> list of HATs with links), but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the
> information. I'm hoping that you might be able to recommend a tool.
>
> The Environment:
>
> I'm writing on-line help for a University system. The system is
> distributed to the workstations via an upload to the University
> servers from a central location. Since there are several thousand
> workstations, it is very important for me to create a help system
> which can be distributed in the same manner (i.e. no individual
> visits by tech support).
>
> My target audience is running Windows 95 and MS Office 4.3. About
> half of them are running Netscape, the other half are running
> various versions of Internet Explorer.
>
> At this point management cannot standardize the desk tops (phew, no
> holy wars here ;-)
>
> On a whim, I downloaded a trial version of RoboHTML. Unfortunately,
> it only runs with Internet Explorer. However, it did contain all of
> the features that I was looking for (and was easy to learn!). Are
> there any tools out there which look like RoboHTML, but can be used
> in my environment?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Jill.
>
> Jill Scudamore
> SIS Training Coordinator
> Office of the Registrar
> York University
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html,

Hey a fellow Yorkie!

I finished Psychology at York. Now, I am in Poland working as a Tech.
Writer.
I am currently using RoboHtml. I realize that Bluesky software is a part
of the MS propaganda faction, but it seems to work fine on Netscape
Navigator. Sigh, I wish I was back in Toronto!

Tytus Pluciennik
Adlex Sp. z o.o.
Al. Jana Pawla II 20
80-462 Gdansk