Re: Zip Drive

Subject: Re: Zip Drive
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:56:24 -0600

> There is a new version of the Zip drive (ZIP Plus) available ($199 in the
> US) which has both Parallel and SCSI ports. This works well in a variety of
> situations, for example, when files need to be exchanged between PCs and
> Macs.

We use parallel Zips on PCs and SCSI Zips on Power Macs, and the SCSI
Zips on the Power Macs can use either the Mac or Windows disks (duh, I
know, but just in case somebody was wondering...) I think the "regular"
Zip is down to $100 now.

> >The easy way to avoid any compatibility problems is to acquire the SCSI
> >version of the ZIP drive, rather than the parallel port version. You can
> >also get a PCMCIA SCSI card to connect the ZIP to a notebook.

And it's probably faster too. But if you're only doing this because for
printer compatability I'd check out the web site before you shell out
for a SCSI card. Also, keep in mind that some people like to take their
Zips to a client's/friend's/coworker's PC, so if you plan on doing this
you'll want to determine the likelihood of their having a SCSI port you
can use.

Tracy
who can't even use her Zip right now because her parallel port
mysteriously died... yeah, I know, wouldn't have happened with a SCSI
;-)
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm