Cold calling/off-site work (was Re: DISCUSS: Shortage of techwriters?)

Subject: Cold calling/off-site work (was Re: DISCUSS: Shortage of techwriters?)
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:26:59 EST

In a message dated 98-01-13 20:22:02 EST, jean_weber -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM writes:

<< (Now if only the people whom I've worke=
for, who like the teleworking arrangement, had enough work to keep me as
busy as I want to be ...)

<snip>
And I'll keep marketing myself; one of these yea=
rs
enough companies will see the light! <g> >>

Have you tried marketing yourself in the sense of cold calling?

Assemble lists of anybody who could possibly need technical writing
(manufacturers, software companies, some banks, ad agencies with technical
clients, theme parks or anyplace else that needs equipment explained), call
them up and say "I'd like to talk to whomever does your documentation. I'm a
technical writer and I'd like to offer my services." Don't be pushy or
-unless encouraged - chatty, just say what you got, see what they need.

You'll need to make a *lot* of calls, but anyone who does need you will
probably be delighted you called and a few others will give you some ideas.

By the way, you didn't mention where you are (it would make sense if most
people did - especially those looking for work.) Maybe someone else on the
list knows something about your immediate area.

Be prepared, however, to go in a little bit. I haven't done any project that
didn't need a few meetings on-site (and I do most of my writing in coffee
bars.)

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval