Re: Magical Thinking and Grimoires

Subject: Re: Magical Thinking and Grimoires
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 15:38:34 -0600

I wonder how much of that has to do with a kind of reversed Clarke's
Law?
Clarke's Law (any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic) seems quite ironic when I'm performing "software magic."

The magic I do has to do with bad technology, or holes in technology,
not advanced technology. My grimoire (personal notebooks, not the
documentation I produce) is not filled with systematic notes detailing
wonderful things I've come to understand about software, but very
specific ways to combat particular software demons.

The things I understand, I understand. I have no need for notes to tell
me how to enter the letter 'A' in a document. Do I need a note to
remember that <b></b> is HTML for bold text? No. I need a note to tell
me that, if I need to edit the format of a page number in Word, I have
to go to the Insert menu, start inserting a page number that I don't
need, edit it's format, and then cancel out. I need a note to tell me
that HTML for a space is &nbsp;.

Good design is transparent once we understand it. Bad design requires us
to cast spells we don't understand. When we use a well designed thing,
we feel like we are doing something natural.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com