Re: Data are vs Data is

Subject: Re: Data are vs Data is
From: Mary Nurminen <manurmin -at- TRE -dot- TELE -dot- NOKIA -dot- FI>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:00:42 +0200

Michael Lewis wrote:

> I sympathise with your reluctance, but the simple fact is that the
> language belongs to the general public, not to us "experts" (or should
> that be "we experts", as in "we [who are] experts"?)

No, it should be 'us experts' because it is the object of the preposition 'to'.

By the way, I agree anyway that the language does belong to the public. I used
to be quite a fan of the prescriptive school of thought but have been converted
to the joys of linguistics as a descriptive science.

It was a French-speaking friend of mine from Quebec who first introduced me to
the idea that language control, or attempts at it, are a form of fascism.

mary