grimoires and proud non-members

Subject: grimoires and proud non-members
From: Kathy Borgtodd <kborgtod -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:58:53 -0500

Please, folks, what the hell is a grimoire? It's not in Websters' - either
hard copy or online.

In our last episode, Marv Cochrane said:

"Gee, I thought this was a great rant: impressive at first read but full of
bloat."
Right on, Marv! My experiences have been positive re becoming an STC member
as well. Since joining over a year ago I was helped through the local
chapter newsletter to find a more satisfying (monetarily and
intellectually) position than the one I was in (through a contracting
firm). I've been to two conferences so far, and have picked up knowledge I
wouldn't necessarily have gotten on my own, and met some estimable
communicators who do a lot more than sit around studying kerning. They're
designing Web pages (for the reader), they're re-thinking the documentation
of large companies and plugging into "portability," they're giving
workshops on success in freelancing; they're vibrant, ambitious people with
vision.

I've been able to have two articles published as well in the chapter
newsletter, which of course I will add to my portfolio. The issue on
Strategic Planning in Tech Comm has been of immeasurable use to me since my
job description changed from tech writer to project estimator. Plus, hasn't
anyone noticed the new layout and focus of the articles?

I suggest that any organization is only as good as the people who join; if
you expect nothing but benefits and have nothing to offer, stop whining and
take your dues elsewhere. In any organization, as in any listserv, you have
the stars and the groupies: people with valuable info, and people who lurk
just to catch other folks' mistakes.

Perhaps it's best for all the whiners to take Groucho's advice:
"I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member."

Opinions are my own.;,)

Kathy Borg-Todd
kborgtod -at- sctcorp -dot- com