Re: Global Text string search in Word 6 or Word 97

Subject: Re: Global Text string search in Word 6 or Word 97
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- DJTTD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:45:06 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 11:27:03 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi, folks. Does anyone know of a way to search through a bunch of .doc
>files looking for a particular text string? In a file, it's no problem, but
>globally?
>
>Help appreciated.
>Horace Smith

For this type of search, I use a program called Search and Replace by Funduc
Software.You can download and order it from their web site at

http://www.funduc.com

While Word files are binary, not text, the text is in ASCII in the file and
Search and Replace can usually display it. (I don't use Fast Save, if you use
Fast Save this might not work).

It has many more options than the Windows 95/NT built-in search and is much
faster. I also find it indispensible in working with web documents (doing
global changes of URLs, for example). The program is well-supported and
updated regularly. It costs $25.

Regards
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- djttd -dot- com -- http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/
Senior Technical Writer, Technical Development, Dow Jones Markets Inc.
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein