Re: Writing samples: what to look for

Subject: Re: Writing samples: what to look for
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:03:27 -0600

Aside from the obvious grammar, spelling, concise/tight writing, and
clarity, I'd look for the following traits:

- Good use of devices - bullet lists where appropriate; single
instructions set clearly apart from paragraph text; number lists where
appropriate; handling of notes, warnings, etc.

- Consistency in terms, headings, structure (of paragraphs, chapters,
multi-document sets, etc.)

- Appropriate chunking of information with clear and intelligent
headings

- Proper indexing

- Good navigation for reader: chapter summaries, intelligent
cross-referencing, general order of presentation

- Intelligent formatting (headers, footers, chapter front layout, use of
graphics, etc. (Of course, I would be sure to inquire whether the writer
had control over this element. In some organizations, the writer must
turn over his or her work to someone else for the "desktop publishing."
If the writer said that this was done by someone else, I would query him
or her long on hard on why and how he or she would change things.)

In my not-so-humble opinion, these things can set apart someone who can
merely write from someone who really, really understands the needs of
the reader and the difference in technical writing versus simple
non-fiction writing. They are also things that I do NOT have TIME to
teach someone on the job.

Hope this also helps some new writers see what things to check for in
their own work. This question should lead to some good discussion.

Jane

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355