Re: Teleworker Location

Subject: Re: Teleworker Location
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 06:20:47 -0600

>I guess I've been lucky. I telecommute from Oklahoma to a job in Austin,
TX. I
>actually show up at work (face to face) for a couple of days every 4 to 6
>months.
>
>(snip)
>
>It works for us because we (including management) want it to work. With
>telephone, e-mail, dial-in access to the network, and faxes, there's rarely
>anything that happens on-site that I can't participate in.

I agree with Jo. If both parties WANT telecommuting to work, it can work
very well.

So far I haven't had an experience like Jo's in tech writing, but I've done
some marketing communications work without even setting foot on site. I was
contacted by email or phone, submitted a reasonable estimate for the job,
got background information by phone, fax, email and snail mail, and
submitted all work by e-mail.

The only problem we had was the time I forgot to save a Word 97 file as
Word 6. Oops.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax