Re: Manual non-standard font question

Subject: Re: Manual non-standard font question
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:56:09 -0500

Tom Herme wrote (in part):

>My marketing manager wants to format every instance of the product name
in Brush Script
>and give a superscript appearance to the 32.
>
>I question the readability of this since every page may have multiple
instances of the
>product name. I think that readers may become distracted by this.

Besides esthetics and the issue of whether readers may be
distracted, there's a practical issue involved. Most publishing tools
will automatically increase the leading of individual lines of text that
include superscripted characters or certain decorative fonts. If you
force fixed leading at the original value, you risk collisions between
the descenders in one line and superscripts in the next. If you use
fixed leading at an increased setting, your document becomes
physically longer. If you do nothing and allow your software to take
care of things on a line by line basis, your document will still get
longer and your page breaks will still change, but you have the added
disadvantage of uneven "color" on the page due to line-by-line leading
variations--something I personally find very distracting visually.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com