Re: Getting a Manual Printed

Subject: Re: Getting a Manual Printed
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:48:13 -0500

David Janus wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm having some trouble getting my manuals printed. Maybe someone out
> there can give me some advice.

<snip>

--
David,

You don't say if you are printing with more than one color. If you are
dealing with only black and white, it seems like an acceptable approach
would be to print a hard copy of the manual and deliver that to the
printer. You'll know exactly what the output is going to look like.
There won't be any missing fonts or wrong drivers to worry about. I've
done it that way many times with excellent results. If you have a 600
dpi printer, that is adequate for text and grayscale images.

If you are working with color, then you will probably need to find a
printer that can work with your files. Don't get drawn into using Quark.
Quark isn't bad, but any printer should be able to work with a Word file
and output it to their own printing device or possibly go directly to
plate from the file.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering - A Division of Star Cutter Company

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
My opinions are still my own.