Re: Writing samples: what to look for

Subject: Re: Writing samples: what to look for
From: AnnMacknz <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:58:13 EST

In a message dated 98-01-21 12:16:14 EST, Barry house wrote:

<< How many of you TWs who interview really expect a portfolio? Why? If I've
written a 150-page how-to booklet, how do I fit that into a portfolio? Can
the strength of the writing overcome the lack of proper presentation? >>

Who has time to do a "proper" portfolio? :-}
My resume of skills shows the software I'm familiar with and describes recent
major projects. A folder containing copies of significant pages from about 10
projects (being careful to not bring anything that is company private) is the
other item I leave with the potential client. I also bring one or two manuals
I've written for them to look at, but they do not leave my sight and go with
me out the door.

This combination, plus telling the truth about what I can do and not, gets me
almost every job I interview for.

By the way, I'm becoming available soon. Anyone need a good contractor,
anywhere on the planet, who is dying to learn to write online doc?

Cheers Ann
Ann Mackenzie: AnnMacknz -at- aol -dot- com
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc. in Milwaukee, WI, USA
specializing in software & engineering writing and policies & procedures