Re: Writing samples and portfolios

Subject: Re: Writing samples and portfolios
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 11:33:24 -0800

Katav wrote:
>[Comments about no one reading portfolio samples snipped]
> Perhaps younger, less experienced TWers need to carry along a
> portfolio (as I did when I was a young newspaper person - oh young
> person, am *I* politically correct), but after a decade or so, it
> seems to be less in demand. Any other grey (gray) beards care to
> comment?

I (a greying head if not grey beard) always bring a few samples, and am
either not asked to show them, or the interviewer looks at them politely
but cursorily. It seems to me that because:(a) they may not be all my
work, (b) they might not even be my work at all, or (c) the interviewer
has criteria that don't require samples - including some that just like
to use conversation to see if the interviewee has a good command of the
language, they have become if not irrelevant, at least relegated to the
back seat.

>... the last time I think I told the interviewer ... 'Look, I dragged
>all this stuff; look at it while I massage my sore arm.' (Yes,
>Virginia, chutzpah IS ok [in small doses].

I think that showing your real personality - including chutzpah -
instead of what you think the interviewer is looking for will ultimately
serve everyone much better. Often, it's the personality match that is
the hardest to get.

Joanne Grey http://www.writeangles.com
Write Angles mailto:j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com

You never know what a fool you can be till life gives you the chance.
-Eden Philpotts