Re: 11 x 17 drawings in PDF files (WAS: Relative Costs of Print and Online Documents)

Subject: Re: 11 x 17 drawings in PDF files (WAS: Relative Costs of Print and Online Documents)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:38:31 -0600

Acrobat Reader has a "shrink to fit" option that will automatically
shrink any page to 8.5 X 11 (or possibly larger if your printer handles
larger paper; I'm not sure about this). You'd need to ensure the
diagrams are readable at this size, of course, and you'd probably need
to let your users know to use the shrink to fit option.

Tracy

> 2) The presence of 11 x 17 pages would also pose a problem to our
> customers. These manuals are designed to be printed out, and due to the
> nature of the manuals, our customers would prefer to print them out,
> rather than try to view them on-line. Unfortunately, most of them
> probably don't have printers that can handle 11 x 17 paper. Depending on
> their printer and setup, they might be able to print portions of the 11
> x 17 drawing onto 8.5 x 11 sheets, but that introduces readability
> problems when trying to follow wiring connections across multiple sheets
> of paper. We've discussed splitting the larger drawings into discrete
> chunks that can fit onto 8.5 x 11 pages, but it's just not feasible with
> some of them.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm