Re: staff consultants

Subject: Re: staff consultants
From: Tracey Moore <temoore -at- MAIL -dot- JAX -dot- BELLSOUTH -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:17:38 -0500

To be or not to be. . .

I have been working as a consultant for the past year and a half. I love
consulting, well I love the freedom part. Alas, I am returning to the employee
world. The reason? I can't afford to continue consulting. So my advice to
anyone wanting to consult full-time:

Have at the very least three months living expenses saved! You will be
unemployed for periods at a time, it's a fact! Take into consideration the
following expenses when you set your fees:

You have to provide your own insurance, working or not..
You have to pay double social security tax.
You have to provide your own retirement benefits.
You have no paid holidays, sick days or vacations.

I know of consultants who do very well. One in particular charges a lot of
money, and if someone balks at it, she turns away, no regrets. Don't let them
get off cheap, you're worth the money (if not you shouldn't be contracting)! I
plan to return to contracting one day, when I've got a healthy nest egg to fall
back on when times are tight.