Re: Belated Followup and Thanks to Billing Problems

Subject: Re: Belated Followup and Thanks to Billing Problems
From: Jon Leer <jleer -at- LTC -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:52:39 -0400

----------
> From: Eric J. Ray <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
> * We got the $4 million liability insurance requirement
> reduced to $1 million, and found that prices for $1
> million of liability insurance range from $200 to $1400
> annually, depending on a number of factors. If you're
> looking for liability insurance, keep shopping with independent
> agents until you find someone who says "no problem, it's
> XXX much." The ones who will "look into it" don't seem
> to get anywhere and often expect wierd stuff from you before
> they'll give you a quote.

Could you elaborate about what is included in the policy. Is this an Errors
and Omissions (E&O) policy or simply a General Business Liability policy?

I went shopping 2 years ago after I was told by a prospect company that to
be included in the approved vendor list I needed liability insurance.
General liability was easy (covers business equipment, etc.). However, the
company meant E&O insurance. I talked to several local insurance agents and
brokers and they had never heard of E&O for technical writing. Yes, for
publishers, such as newspapers, but this stuff is expensive.

Because of the dearth of information, I called the STC (I am a member) and
got no where. The STC had no idea and referred me to the agency available
to members. The agency said they offered no liability insurance, only
health and disability. The agency also had no idea who might offer E&O for
technical communicators, or why it was necessary.

Then, I contacted a noted author/consultant who currently has a consulting
book on the best seller's list. He hemmed and hawed and then hung up on me.
REAL PROFESSIONAL.

Consequently, I hope you can understand my curiosity.

Jon Leer
Leer Technical Communications