Re: Ergonomic Input Device Suggestions....

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Input Device Suggestions....
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -dot- bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:57:49 -0600

Jennifer, Techwr-lers,

Back after a long absence... I'll chime in with some hopefully useful info.

We just had this month at Physical Therapist/Occupational Therapist Consultant
come talk to our St. Louis STC Chapter about injuries and problems we face every
day that are related to sitting in front of a computer.

He said many wonderful things that night, and very few of them (to our surprise)
were centered around buying stuff for your work environment. He did however say
that the root cause of these problems you are describing (wrist, head, neck
problems) stem from the way you are sitting. He was big on a chair with, or
getting a pad for, lumbar support. He says two thirds of the people he sees as
patients from offices, sit poorly in their chair.

I have a few handouts left from the meeting. In them, he explains how this is
true, and gives you exercises to alieviate the problem.

Contact me If you would like, and I'll send you a copy of the exercises and
information if you send me a SASE (should be a $.32 US stamp on an 8x11 envelope)

Pepexx wrote:

> Hey there everyone,
>
> Lately I have been experiencing some discomfort when using the mouse. The
> pain has been mainly in the center of my hand when I click the buttons. I
> also get knots in my neck and shoulders even though I look straight at the
> monitor.
>
> I am a lefty and have switched hands already. I have also gotten a mouse
> wrist pad. I have looked into other options, but it would really help if I
> could get some feedback from those of you that have used these devices.
>
> These are the options I know of and my questions about them:
>
> 1) A wrist support in the form of a glove that attaches with velcro.
>
> Question: How easy is it to move back and forth between mouse and keyboard with
> what looks like a relatively cumbersome piece of equipment on your hand?
>
> 2) A touchpad.

He was very big on touch pads... says they are the least "damaging" input device,
and highly recommended them.

> Question: the only ones I have been able to find that don't use a stylus have
> been pretty small. Does size matter? More importantly, does it even help? I
> am concerned that the light touch required might cause its own discomfort.
> Also, can anyone recommend one that is both windows 95 and NT compatable?
>
> 3) A graphics tablet with stylus.
>
> Question: A stylus seems like it has the potential to be pretty uncomfortable
> to use.
>
> 4) A roller ball.
>
> Question: Is this really any more comfortable or easier to use?

cheers, all!
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

Prediction 4
"The people who are studying Tai Chi Chuan instead
of saving money are planning to beat us up and take
our stuff when we've retired"

Scott Adams - The Dilbert Future
If Bill Said it, Bill said it... Not CMS. Got it?