Re: Mixed messages

Subject: Re: Mixed messages
From: Keith Arnett <Keith_Arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:27:24 EST

Based on my own experiences with so-called consulting or placement
firms, my observation is that this is in no way unusual; put it behind
you and move on.

These consulting or placement agencies make money by placing job
candidates; the more they place, the more they make. This contributes
to a meat-market/commodity environment; when you're hot, you're the
greatest thing they've ever seen, and when you're not, you can't even
get your phone calls returned.

Rest assured that, if they have your resume on file, you will
eventually be called again by an account rep who will lavish you with
praise and assure you that he/she has the perfect job for you.

I could go on and on about the negatives of these agencies,
but......Without doubt, the best jobs I had as a contract TW were jobs
that I prospected and negotiated myself.

Also remember that as a contractor you have no way of knowing exactly
what's going on in any organization where you find yourself newly
placed. Office politics, budget wars, inept management...all can bump
you out the door without your knowing why.

Which is why good self-esteem and a sturdy ego are a major
requirements for contracting. All you can do is look back at what you
did, ask yourself, "What would/could I have done differently?", make
note of the answers, and move on.

This kind of experience can be especially painful early on in one's
contracting career, but it is virtually inevitable. It's happened to
everyone (and worse), and is an unfortunate hazard of contracting. As
you gain experience, you will be able to see these kinds of situations
coming in advance, and act accordingly (like turning the job down, in
the firm knowledge that a better one is waiting for you somewhere).

Hang in there.....

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer/Reston Labs
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

Subject: Mixed messages
Author: rtfarley -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com at ~sydressmtp
Date: 1/28/98 1:38 PM

Hi,

I could use some objective input on an incident that I need closure on.

Some time back I had my first assignment as a contract TW through a
placement agency.

<< snip >>

My instincts tell me that the entire fiasco was blamed on me by a
manager who couldn't admit that she couldn't manage, and hourly TWs who
didn't like having a higher paid contractor around. I can only cringe at
the thought of the stories that were relayed to the placement firm
causing them to drop me like a leper.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with placement firms? Does this
happen frequently when contractors and full-timers are mixed? Is there
any way, short of being a recluse, to avoid this in the future?