Re: spelled out numbers

Subject: Re: spelled out numbers
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:38:36 -0600

Emily A. Thrush wrote:

>>A question that just occurred to me. I was taught that in most cases you
>>should use numerals for numbers less than 10. (There are specific
>
>You learned that in freshman comp - it's an academic thing. Numerals
>usually work better in tech writing - for one thing, there's research
>showing that people process numerals faster and more accurately
>than spelled out numbers.

It's not necessarily just a freshman comp thing. I learned that rule in
journalism class--it was a hard-and-fast rule in the AP Stylebook--and
followed it religiously until I got honest work.

I interviewed a couple weeks ago at a company that apparently follows AP
style very closely. The old rule, spell out whole numbers below 10, use
figures for 10 and above, is still there. But the AP now lists more than a
full page of exceptions.

I like Mary Durlak's caveat--do what works best with your particular audience.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax