Techwriting Prestige

Subject: Techwriting Prestige
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:17:39 -0500

Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM> wrote:

>A post got me thinking about programmers vs. techwriters in >the prestige area. A few years ago it seemed like techwriters >were really fighting for ANY prestige. Now, maybe I am biased >because of my own situation, but it certainly seems like >techwriters are at least on par with programmers.

You may be right. I've noticed in the last year or so that I was
suddenly being offered programmer's pay instead of writer's pay at some
companies. In fact, that's one reason why I'm toying with full time
employment: I've been made an offer which is better than I made last
year as a contractor (and I had a very good year in 1997, too).

Maybe scarcity has something to do with it, too. Without even looking
for work, I've had 12 offers of contracts since the New Year, ranging
from ten months' duration to several days. Programmers, by contrast, are
thicker on the ground.

I don't know if our experiences are typical, but since we're working
thousands of miles apart, I think that they might be.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Spider spins its heart out, fox goes home alone,
Wisdom is a snake waiting underneath a stone,
Refuge is in silence or in any stony place,
I will not share your pity, your laws, or your disgrace."
--Oyster Band