Re: spelled out numbers

Subject: Re: spelled out numbers
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:33:21 -0600

Besides the speed of reading, there is the fact that numerals tend to
stand out form the text, making them easier to find.
And numbers are things that people are likely to be looking for. The
documents I write are more often skimmed than read.

The next two paragraphs are examples based on the message I'm replying
to. As a quick usability study, skim the paragraphs to find out how many
numbers I'm talking about. The paragraphs are identical except for the
use of digits and written-out numbers.

I think speed of processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do
with the surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers and
confusing punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading. I think
speed of processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do with the
surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers, like maybe twenty,
and confusing punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading. I think
speed of processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do with the
surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers and confusing
punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading.I think speed of
processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do with the
surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers and confusing
punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading.

I think speed of processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do
with the surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers and
confusing punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading. I think
speed of processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do with the
surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers, like maybe 20, and
confusing punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading. I think
speed of processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do with the
surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers and confusing
punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading. I think speed of
processing numbers compared to words has a lot to do with the
surrounding material. If you have a lot of numbers and confusing
punctuation, spelling out helps ease the reading.

I avoid the kinds of numbers that Barb suggests spelling out, except for
"one." If the reader needs to know a number, I express it in digits. If
the reader doesn't need to know a number, I remove it. "One" is a
special case. In the example "refer to one of these two documents" it
isn't exactly being used as a number - "either" could be used as well.

As with any specific rule of writing, the details of the project (user
needs, what I'm documenting, consistency with other writers, etc.) can
override my usual way of handling numbers.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home: nax -at- execpc -dot- com