Re: [Long] Making Money in Technical Writing & Roger Peterson

Subject: Re: [Long] Making Money in Technical Writing & Roger Peterson
From: Peter Kent <pkent -at- TOPFLOOR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:29:04 -0700

Linda Sherman said:
> It doesn't matter. Titles aren't protected by copyright or
> trademark.

That's true. Still, I don't think it's ethical to steal a title!

> You could have called it "Tech Writing for Dummies" and the "for
> Dummies" people couldn't do much except rattle their spears at you
> in indignation.

Well, that's not quite correct. Try it, and you'll be bankrupt before you
ever get books to print! Titles can't be copyright, but a series style and
title can be trademarked.

> Doesn't matter either. Subject matter is not protected by copyright.
> The question is whether you copied parts of someone else's work
> word-for-word (or nearly so) without attribution and/or in violation
> of "fair use" principles.

Quite right. However I also wanted people to understand that there's no way
these books are even similar.

> Yeah, people seem to think that writing trade books is going to pay
> for a 50-foot yacht and a home with an ocean view in San Francisco. The
> fact is, it's about the lowest-paying form of "tech" writing you can do,

It's either the lowest-paying form of tech-writing you can do, or it's the
highest paying form of tech-writing you can do. A lot depends on luck and
persistence. (There are a few computer-book writers making $hundreds of
thousands a year, which is difficult to match in plain old tech writing.)

Peter

Coming soon, "Poor Richard's Web Site: Geek-Free, Commonsense
Advice on Building a Low-Cost Web Site," Top Floor Publishing.
Visit http://www.poorrichard.com/ for sample chapters, Table of
Contents, almost 800 useful links for people setting up Web sites,
examples of free and low-cost Web-site utilities, and more.