(long) Delivering docs electronically

Subject: (long) Delivering docs electronically
From: Ginna Watts <gwatts -at- PIM -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:16:36 -0800

Hi all,

I am faced with some big decisions about how we will publish our
documentation this year.

The background: We do a 'major' release of our software once a year. At this
time, we publish a new paper manual. Last year we released our first Windows
version (up from DOS), so I also included context-sensitive Windows help.
Since we have frequent 'patches', which often add new functionality to the
software, I sent out upgraded versions of the help with the patch. We have
told our users that the help file is definitive.

Last year we reached the practical limit of our existing printing method.
Our pre-printed covers will be too small if we add any more pages to the
book. Moving up to the next cover size will increase costs substantially.
More importantly, the book is already a bit unwieldy. We've had complaints
about it not lying flat, about the spine breaking, etc. I've researched
binders, but they'd have to be huge to fit the whole thing as well.

This year, we are adding about eight new 'modules' to our software. I
estimate at least 100 pages of new text. Clearly, the whole thing will have
to be reworked somehow. We have toyed with various ways of splitting the
book up, none of which make anyone around here happy.

I am in favour of slimming the whole thing down, and concentrating on
delivering the bulk of information online. I suggested the help files, plus
PDF versions of the "complete" manual if they want to print it out. (Since
our software is modular, this makes sense to me.) Management doesn't like
this idea because "people want books". This response has merit, since most
of our clients had to be dragged from DOS to Windows kicking and screaming.
Also, they point out that since our software is expensive (a typical
configuration of modules costs 8 or 9 grand), it seems chintzy not to
deliver books.

I think that electronically is really the only practical, low-cost solution,
and it would mean that we could update it more frequently as well. (I'm the
lone writer here, so it's only me involved.)

Does anyone have any arguments for or against the online solution? Is
management right - should I just grit my teeth and figure out a new way to
do it on paper?

TIA, Ginna
Ginna Watts - Technical Writer
Pacific International Mapping