Re: Need Advise for Converting to HTML Help

Subject: Re: Need Advise for Converting to HTML Help
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:38:52 -0000

From: Robyn Faulkner <rfaulkne -at- BTC -dot- ADAPTEC -dot- COM>

>The Engineering group at our company is requesting that we convert our
>existing Win Help Online Help (Windows 95 and NT platforms) to an HTML
>Help format. Has anyone done this before? If so, what has been your
>experience? What are the drawbacks? Benefits? Are there issues with any
>particular browser an end user maybe using?
---
FWIW, I use Wextech Helpsite 1.5 for this very purpose. It does a
reasonable first pass, but you will need to use a decent HTML editor to
clean up the results. For example, it formats numbered and bulletted lists
absolutely (rather than use <li> tags).

The HTML Help interface can be either an ActiveX control or a Java applet
(Microsoft include the applet in the latest version of the HTML Help
Workshop -- see http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/author/). The Helpsite
templates use the ActiveX control by default and you'll need to edit them to
use the Java applet.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net