Re: Problems with hiring, Equity

Subject: Re: Problems with hiring, Equity
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:22:54 -0800

How?

NEVER, NEVER discuss salary!

What one employee earns has nothing to do with what another
employee earns.

> <snip>
>
> 1. The salary is set by the market conditions at the time of hire.

Right! And the ability to bargain.

Salary is no indicator of talent.

> 2. If you are a manager, ALWAYS find out how much any potential hiree
> will
> be paid so you can INSIST on a raise before they are hired. (Ask them
> in the
> interview how much they hope to get.)

No way! You do not restructure the pay scale of an entire
department every time you hire.

Of course, this is all in my not so humble opinion. :-)

- Barry