Re: Indexes-building from multiple files in Word

Subject: Re: Indexes-building from multiple files in Word
From: "MERRIFIELD, LINDA" <lm3142 -at- MOMAIL -dot- SBC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:42:21 -0600

Hi, Damien. Try this:

Word Table of Contents and Indexing for Multiple Files

Word can construct a table of contents (table of figures or table of
authorities as well) and index over several files by using special field
codes. The page numbers will retain prefixes added through the
Insert>Page Number>Format selection. There are two ways to do it; I
prefer the second:
* within the file to actually hold the table or
* in a separate file from which the table or index
is copied and pasted into the destination file. The item can be copied
as either a field item (hidden codes) or as text. If copied as a field
item, you won't be able to update from the destination file.

Here's how to do it.
1. If you use the second method, create a new file, name, and save
it.
2. At the very end of the file, insert an RD field from the
Insert>Field>Index and Tables selection. The field will appear as hidden
text placed within brackets-{ RD }. NOTE: if the field is placed in the
middle of the document, the referenced files are considered inserted at
that point and your tables will construct accordingly.
3. Insert the cursor immediately left of the right bracket.
4. Type the path to the first file using double backslashes instead
of single (i.e., { RD c:\\folder\\file1.doc})
5. Copy the entire field code and paste additional fields on
separate lines for each file to be included.
6. Replace the paths in the second and following codes with the
path to the desired files. NOTE: The tables are constructed in the same
order you list them. If you list the last chapter first, it will be
first on the table.
7. Insert the table or index within the file at the position you
want them, but before the RD fields (Insert>Index and Tables). When the
table/index is built, Word builds on the open document, then builds on
the RD field files in the sequence listed.
8. If you used a separate file, you can either select only the
desired text or select the entire table field (it turns gray when
selected) and copy it. Open the destination file and paste it in place.
When you need to rebuild the table or index, do it from this file and
paste the revision in place.