Re: Justification for task-based documentation

Subject: Re: Justification for task-based documentation
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:55:17 -0600

Chris, most readers of software documentation couldn't care less about WHY
something works the way it does or WHY they are doing a task. They have one
objective: to complete the task. Sometimes the task may be job-related, in
which they probably have a vested interest in completing it as quickly as
possible. They already know WHY they're doing the task. They just want to
know what's required to complete it--no more, no less.

I'm not saying that conceptual documentation is worthless. It can and does
play a role in complex applications. It just should not be intermixed with
task-oriented documentation.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com