GUI questions

Subject: GUI questions
From: Jill Clay <Jill_Clay -at- ARBORSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:00:43 -0800


I am a new subscriber to this list, so please forgive me if my questions
have been answered a million times already.

I have some questions on GUI terminology:
1.In our product, we have some "non-dialog boxes" that display information
- for example, which database you're connected to and all kinds of
information. These informational windows are accessed the same way as, and
have similar appearance to , our regular product dialog boxes. For example,
one dialog box lets you set settings; another lets you see those settings
and other statistics, but you can't change anything in the information
- a. what do I call this information window? An information window? The
Microsoft style guide calls it a "property sheet, " but then goes on to ask
you to avoid ever using that term. Our stuff gets translated too, so I
just want to stick with a common standard if there is one.
- b. WHat do you call a "field," in general, that supplies information
but you can't change it? Such fields can also occasionally exist in true
dialog boxes; for example, it tells you what database you're connected to
(but doesn't let you select another one).

2. A writer in our group prefers the term "Right-click menu" to "pop-up
menu;" she says, correctly, that it describes what you have to do to access
a pop-up menu. I contend that we expect our users to be Windows- proficient
and don't have to explain how to get a pop-up window. How do others handle

I know I have more questions, but I'll get to them later.
Thanks in advance!

Previous by Author: Re: On-Line & Manuals
Next by Author: thank you ! re: GUI question
Previous by Thread: New material on Internet Resources for Technical Communicators site
Next by Thread: Re: GUI questions

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads